[nabs-l] taking quizzes and tests

Jewel herekittykat2 at gmail.com
Sun Feb 3 22:03:08 UTC 2013

I have a late response that I would like to add, but it's not an
affirmation, so please forgive me for that.

In my time in college as a blind student, the only quizzes I have
taken in class were of two categories: 1) pop quizzes that were given
orally or 2) foreign language quizzes that had an oral component.

In the first example, I would open word while everyone else took out
paper and pencil, and I would type as they wrote. I would then turn in
my saved document on a flash drive designated for that class, and the
professor would return it after grading. In the second instance, the
quiz/test was given to me as a word document as everyone got settled
so I would have it open and ready when she began. I would then
complete the oral section at the same time as everyone else (either at
the beginning, or at a teacher-designated time in the quiz/test). Then
I would complete the rest of the quiz/test and save the document on
the flash drive designated for that class. The professor would take up
the flash drive when she takes up everyone's quiz/test, then return
the flash drive after grading.

I think it is within a professor's right to require a student to take
a quiz at the DSS office if it's not a pop quiz or has an oral
component. For example, last semester's biology class (and this
semester's biology class) require a 10-minute lab quiz every week. Lab
is on Tuesday, so I take this lab quiz on Monday afternoons. I get
double time, so twenty minutes. I don't normally need the full double
time, but last week's quiz, there was an issue with calculators not
working and I had to use a calculator I wasn't familiar with, so it
took me longer to answer those questions I needed the calculator for.
Issues like this can only be dealt with at the disability support
services office. If I had been taking the quiz in the class and my
talking calculator stopped working like that, the teacher could
provide only a regular non-talking calculator, so I would be stuck
without access to a calculator that was an easy solution at the DSS
office.

I don't feel that taking the lab quiz at DSS is too much trouble for
me or for my professor. My professor e-mails the quiz to DSS to be
checked for accessibility, and I get her to fill out a quiz form
during her office hours. I take the quiz after school on Monday and
plug my phone into earbuds and listen to music or play on an app while
everyone else is taking the lab quiz in-class. It's not a big issue,
and it worked last semester and is working just fine this semester.

If your professor insists that you take the short quiz at the
disability support services office, maybe this is something you should
accept as part of requiring specialized equipment. Sure, it's nice to
take the test in class with everyone else, but what happens when your
technology stops working in the middle of the test? DSS isn't there to
see you complete the test on another computer, get another talking
calculator, or have a reader/scribe assist you. And in the class, you
can forget about extra time. That's not fair to the other students if
the professor has something planned for after the quiz. Why should
they have to wait extra time because of your disability? Is that
accommodating or reverse-discrimination?

My two cents,
Jewel

On 2/3/13, Ashley Bramlett <bookwormahb at earthlink.net> wrote:
> Kaiti,
> thanks. I will chat with her again and we will see.
> I agree its easier to hand me the quiz electronically rather than me going
> way to the testing center and having her send it there and pick it up
> there.
>
> Hopefully, she will change her mind and I won't be inconvenienced andshe
> will see its not a big deal.
> Ashley

>>> laptop. My professor seemed unsure about this idea. She said, I’ll ask