[nabs-l] Extended Time

Julie McGinnity kaybaycar at gmail.com
Wed Feb 6 04:12:11 UTC 2013

Hi Arielle and all,

I agree that extended time is not always necessary for us.  I was
always given it in high school for tests even though I may not have
needed it.  In college it has become more of a hinderance than a help
because some professors expect me to take tests in our testing center,
when it would be easier for all of us if I took them in class.  Most
of us have our screenreaders reading at a speed faster than most
people talk, and I agree with Arielle that we should not be expected
to read braille slower just because it is braille.  That doesn't make
much sense.

I think the problem is that there are situations when we actually do
need extended time.  When we use readers is a good example.  I think
besides that I only asked for extended time on my music history tests
because my professor would put matching on the tests.  Matching is a
little annoying to do with jaws and takes longer if you can't simply
skim what the choices are.  But I only needed an extra 10 minutes or
so.  My point is that it's hard to take extended time on a case by
case basis.  Either we get it for everything, or we get it for
nothing.  I doubt there is any other way to deal with extended time.

--
Julie McG
National Association of Guide dog Users board member,  National