[nabs-l] Extended Time

Ashley Bramlett bookwormahb at earthlink.net
Wed Feb 6 17:34:53 UTC 2013

Hi Arielle,
Well I see your points. Extended time while we use braille could send a bad
message I suppose that we're inherently slow.
I cannot remember whether I used  extended time all the time in high school
or not. I had a study hall period with my vision teacher, or TVI as they're
called. Here I finished any tests or in class assignments I needed to for
the day or worked on homework. This was very valuable time for me since I
struggled with some spatial concepts too and my TVI sort of acted as a tutor
for math as well and explained diagrams.

I think ideally that  extended time and accomodations should be given on a
case by case basis. You may need some accomodations in one class and not
others.
But that isn't how college works; they have to make accomodations across the
board so you have one accomodation sheet for all professors.

I feel that yes extended time is needed in college because of
the medium its taken in. I consider equal access to be braille since sighted
students read it; they do not have to hear it.
As you know, braille is not given to us in college except for maybe math if
you beg for it.

So, I think using jaws is slower than reading it in print. If its multiple
choice, I find I need to hear it twice because as with any test taker, I
read it once and eliminate two answers and read it again to pic the  best
answer.
A sighted user clicks the correct button where as we have to go line by line
and listen to the line and arrow up til finding the right answer.
If using a reader, I need them to repeat my answers sometimes to ensure they
circled the right one.

I am trying to get extended time for practice online quizzes because I need
to scroll back up to check my answers.
I'm confused as to what radio button goes
with what answer. I wish the Letter options of A, b, c, d were on the same
line but jaws isn't reading like that.
Not to mention that I use a minute or two to find where the darn quiz
begins! Yes, I do use the quick navigation keys such as H for heading to
help but when there are lots of headings this doesn't help too much.

I find that other forms of tests such as short answer and essay formats
take me less time. I don't always use extended time. But its there in the
many cases I do need it.

Now, I  just hope I can get
extended time for the blackboard quiz. It has to be manually changed for me
to get extended time.

Ashley