[nabs-l] Creating bibliographies

Greg Aikens gpaikens at gmail.com
Thu Feb 14 00:54:34 UTC 2013

Hi Adrianna,
I know its gross and time consuming, but I actually generate most of my references by hand.  I used to use the built in reference sheet in Microsoft Word.  It let you choose a style guide to follow, such as APA, Chicago, Turabian, MLA, and then you entered your references.  You could then automatically generate a reference sheet.  I ended up doing them by hand because so many of my references didn't quite fit the categories listed and I ended up needing to fix them anyway.

I haven't tried either of these programs.  I would pick one or two of your most complicated references and see how well they work.  If you like them, then go for it.

I would also recommend getting some sighted assistance to look over the formatting once you are done.  It is typical to get one or two students to read through your work when working on a masters thesis or project.  A sighted student will detect irregularities in your formatting in far less time than it will take you to move line by line, word by word, and even character by character  through your bibliography.  Your time is valuable, especially at the end when you are working to get it all done.  It might even be worth paying someone.

Hope this helps.

-Greg