[nabs-l] I believe I have been discriminated against, where to turn for help?

Aleeha Dudley blindcowgirl1993 at gmail.com
Fri Feb 15 22:46:50 UTC 2013

Hi Laurel,
     Sorry to jump in a bit late on this thread, but I would also be
willing to talk to you about this. I am the President of the Ohio
student division and, although you are not from Ohio, I can offer you
advice and a good set of ears if you need them.
     I am also in the camp that says that it's not quite time to sue
yet. I know you are graduating soon, but if you do not go as far as
you can with this complaint, what's to stop this professor from doing
the same thing to someone else? She should know that this is
absolutely not OK and that actions will be taken against her if she
does not start treating all her students, no matter what the
disability, or other difference, fairly.
     Joshua, I would just like to say that, like others, I believe my
college education and accommodations are going very well. I attend an
"American" university and, other than a slight bump in the road I am
dealing with now, everything is going well. The NFB has a false
reputation for immediately suing someone if they refuse to be
accommodating: let's not spread that notion any further to others by
jumping to conclusions about every school and how to handle every
difficult situation. You may be a busy student, but the fact is that
every situation is different and there are different steps to follow
for each situation that arises. You will become more skilled as a
blind person if you, and I don't just mean you, but every other blind
person, myself included, assess the unique circumstances surrounding
each situation and act according to them rather than applying a "one
size fits all" approach.
     I hope I have made myself clear and please don't hesitate to
contact me with any questions.
Thanks,
Aleeha