[nabs-l] Fw: Touchscreen Braille Writer

Misty Dawn Bradley mistydbradley at gmail.com
Sun Jan 6 18:39:37 UTC 2013

Hi,
Yes, this app sounds similar to the other one, although I don't understand
why the students created one when there is another app like it already being
tested? I agree with others that the other project should not have been
dropped, although it is nice to be able to type in Braille. For me, I am
used to the QWERTY keyboard when typing emails, texts, documents, etc. If I
had difficulty typing on a touch screen, I would just get a bluetooth QWERTY
keyboard to type on, and the only reason I would switch to a Braille
keyboard is if I am actually composing Braille in a Braille document. I
guess the preference depends on the individual, but now I use the computer
for most things, so I am used to the QWERTY keyboard, although I am fast
with Braille also. I guess I am just surprised at how sighted people think
that all of our typing must be in Braille for us to type adequately, and
they seem to think that it is terribly difficult to type on a QWERTY
keyboard. I don't understand this, especially when knowing how to use a
QWERTY keyboard quickly and efficiently is an important skill for employment
and things of this nature. I can understand that on a touch screen it can be
more challenging, but after some time getting familiar with it, one usually
gets faster at it. I am not saying that Braille is not important, but I am
just saying that being quick and accurate on a QWERTY keyboard is important
in today's job market also, although Braille is a very useful skill for the
blind in taking notes, labeling, and producing Braille materials, etc.
Misty