[nabs-l] unaccommodating professors

Ashley Bramlett bookwormahb at earthlink.net
Sun Jan 13 03:14:05 UTC 2013

Arielle,
What a story. That is terrible. If that student wanted to, they had grounds
for suing I think.
I use dss and find them a necessary part of my school studies; sometimes a
necessary evil though.
I need them to get accomodations. Every semester I am at this community
college, their policy is that
I get my memo of accomodation, MOA, from them.
I give that to professors. It has accomodations like extended time on exams,
use of other devices for notetaking, electronic handouts, and
option to record lectures. Alternate formats of textbooks is on it, but as I
said before, I rarely get a format I can use.

Anyway, that's too bad your college had a heavy hand i n it all by
contacting
professors for materials because blind students can get that themselves.
I would have hated this. If professors want to have conversations with dss,
they should include the blind student.
I was at George mason university, GMU,  before marymount university.
At that time the dss did not talk to professors much and let the blind
student do most advocacy. Sure they had accomodation memos and had a testing
room for students to use, but it was up to the blind student to distribute
the accomodation memo and
get needed material from professors.
Now things have changed from what I heard. Now, they talk to professors for
you and distribute
letters for you. I don't know whether gmu goes as far as requesting all
materials a professor will use, but it would not surprise me if theydid.
That is just so so custodial, not to mention time inefficient. Professors
can email us documents. No need to send to the dss office and the dss send
them to us.

And suggesting someone drop a class is utter discrimination. How terrible.

Anyway, I'll just find another class.

Ashley