[nabs-l] Studying Foreign languages

Greg Aikens gpaikens at gmail.com
Sat Jan 19 20:43:55 UTC 2013

Darian,
To agree with the others, definitely use braille if you have access to it.  I used braille in my high school spanish courses and it was a big help.

I also minored in spanish as an undergrad without using any braille.  I wish I had pushed to get braille, but I didn't and I still made it through.  I was able to get some of my textbooks in electronic format and used JAWS in Spanish to read them.  I also had to hire several readers who helped me access textbooks I could not find in an accessible format.

REally learning the rules of the language came through usage and imitation more than studying written texts.  This could just be my learning preference though.

Best of luck,
Greg