[nabs-l] Martin Luther King Junior Day of service.

Arielle Silverman arielle71 at gmail.com
Sun Jan 20 21:58:24 UTC 2013

Hi all,
Speaking of service, I'm just wondering if anyone has had any
difficult experiences persuading people that you could still
participate in service activities in spite of blindness? If something
like this came up how did you handle it and were you successful in
advocating to be included in the activity?
As some of you know, some blind friends and I had a not-so-good
experience a few years ago when we tried to prepare a meal for folks
at Ronald McDonald House. The house manager sent someone to supervise
us, and was upset that we did not bring a sighted companion with us. I
was even told that our arrival without a sighted companion had
inconvenienced them more than it had helped them, despite the
substantial monetary donation we made to them in buying the food.
I also have a blind friend who tried to volunteer at a horseback
riding place (ironically, one that provided therapeutic horse riding
to children with disabilities). She wanted to help with grooming and
caring for the horses, and was refused because of blindness.
I hate to be so negative as it is great to see so many folks who have
successfully participated in community service. But unfortunately
discrimination does still happen. How do we overcome it and continue
to show our communities that we are capable of giving back and want to
do so?
Arielle