[nabs-l] Accessibility of Google Docs

Kaiti Shelton crazy4clarinet104 at gmail.com
Wed Jan 23 02:34:03 UTC 2013

Hi,

As was said the IPhone or other I-devices are great for reading google
docs.  My fraternity likes to send out google doc surveys out and I
always use my IPhone for those.
I'd talk to your teammates and see if something could be worked out.
If one of the requirements is that the project be completed as a
google doc, at the least you could use your IPad or IPhone to read it
and email your responses in plain text to someone.  If you edit it so
that all they'd have to do is copy and paste it shouldn't be a big
deal.  If you don't have an IPad or something then perhaps sharing a
different file format through dropbox or email would be a better
option.

On 1/22/13, Bryan Jones <opensesame at me.com> wrote:
> Last semester I worked on a team of 6 students who collaborated to create a
> dozen documents using Docs, and two presentations using Slides. My fellow
> teammates were sighted and did their work on Windows computers through the
> google docs web interface. I did my work on a Macbook Air and an iPhone 4S.
>
> The first thing I did was install the Google Drive App on my devices. This
> allows for simple file management. I then installed the latest version of
> Chrome and the Chromevox plugin on the Mac. In my testing, Docs was
> significantly more accessible via Chromevox as opposed to Mac VoiceOver.
> This might be different under Windows. Google's accessibility documentation
> for Docs is largely geared toward JAWS.
> http://www.google.com/accessibility/products/
>
> It took some time to learn, but I was eventually able to create and edit
> docs on the Mac using ChromeVox. I was also able to do a bit of editing on
> the iPhone, but mostly I just read the docs on the iPhone using the Google
> Drive App, which worked quite well for reading and reviewing.
>
> HTH,
> Bryan

Kaiti