[nabs-l] group projects issues

Ashley Bramlett bookwormahb at earthlink.net
Wed Jan 30 00:54:34 UTC 2013

Hello all,
I consider myself to be outgoing and approachable; I participate in class discussions fairly well since its organized and the professor calls on students to talk. Sometimes, I even get compliments on my contributions.

But a big challenge I’ve encountered is group projects. I mean those projects where class chats amongst themselves and forms groups.
I have a group project for family sociology where we have to create a tv show skit to illustrate sociological concepts. I’m also concerened about accessing comments students use on blackboard since we are linked as group members. I am not sure that is accessible. At one point it was not.
I also am not always keen on group projects due to communication issues and other classmates waiting to the last minute to do the work or failing to do their part.
But those issues aren’t blindness specific but it sure magnifies the problem.
I’m going to get into a group Thursday. I asked the professor if she could help me find a group and she will Thursday during class. She said absent students did not have a group yet either.
So, any tips on interacting with group members or finding groups would be good. I also struggle with this sometimes during general class group discussions. Often I speak up to people around me and join their group. But sometimes, they have enough people already and I have to find another group.
Anyway thought I’d share this issue. I recall feeling left out in high school and its sad to me this reappears in college.
Ashley