[nabs-l] group projects issues

Kaiti Shelton crazy4clarinet104 at gmail.com
Wed Jan 30 19:29:58 UTC 2013

Hi Ari,

My university has a big community feel to it.  Most people on my
campus are pretty friendly and are pretty approachable.
I am not totally blind, but most people who I'm not super close with
don't know that because they see me with a cane and I don't really
discuss the specifics of my vision unless I know someone for a little
while.  In my history class last semester I just started by making
small talk with the girl across the aisle from me.  I then found out
that she lived in my dorm on another floor and we decided to study for
tests together.  We just kept talking and over studying and just quick
little conversations before or after class we got to know each other a
little.  It doesn't have to be something big, just start with
introducing yourself and getting comfortable with the person, then
just things like asking how they're classes are going.  If they're a
friendly person too then the conversation should just naturally branch
off.  Be an active listener, so if someone says something interesting
ask more about it and it will help make them feel like you're
interested in what they have to say, and let them know they can do the
same with you.
Also, you can find friends in your major and if you get close with
them those may be some of your best friends.  I am really close with
two other music majors who I met in my first semester music classes.
One and I are in the same fraternity, the other and I take some of our
gen ed courses together, and the three of us are trying to get an
apartment together for next year.  So sometimes your friends from your
major will become your biggest allies in other courses too.

Kaiti