[nabs-l] group projects issues

Kirt Manwaring kirt.crazydude at gmail.com
Thu Jan 31 16:01:34 UTC 2013

Ashley,
  I say this with the utmost civility possible, meaning no personal
insult or attack.  Still, I'm not one for excessive subtlety so you're
going to get my blunt opinions here.  You responded to some
suggestions very bluntly yourself, so I can't imagine you'll mind.
  I think you're dismissing some very good ideas without, it seems to
me, considering their merrit.  You don't have to spend hours and hours
of time out of class with people in order to find a group that will
accept you.  Usually, and I grant you that I've never attended a
commuter university quite like what you are describing, but usually
thirty seconds of small talk before a class starts does the trick for
me, when I need to find someone later.  And, yes, not that this
matters in the slightest, but I am totally blind.  I'm not saying it's
easy, I'm not saying it isn't awkward sometimes, but I'm saying that,
for me at least, trying to talk to the people next to me before class
starts, or asking them quiet questions throughout class (what is the
professor writing on the board?  What, exactly, is this picture he's
telling us to look at, etc/?), usually gives me enough contact with
people to be able to ask if I can join a group really fast right when
the prof. tells us all to group up.  The art behind it, for me, seems
to be getting up and talking to the people next to me really fast,
like as soon as the professor says "go!", because, the longer I wait,
even if it's a few extra seconds, the harder it is to find someone not
in a group.  For me, even though some of the people around me may
perceive this as awkward, although probably not as much as I think
they do, it's best to just find people ASAP, politely interrupt if
needs be, and do whatever I need to do to get in a group right away.
If they are already full, I'll often politely ask them to direct me to
someone else who doesn't seem to be in a group yet.  Usually, even if
the people I approach are already a full group, someone will see me
wandering around looking for a group and bail me out.  If that doesn't
happen, I'm fine asking the prof. for help as a last desperate resort,
although that seldom happens.
  Also, I think it's important to remember that this can be a tricky
thing for all sorts of college students, either blind or sighted.  For
lots of people, randomly joining groups with virtual strangers is
uncomfortable and awkward; that, I submit, is more of a personality
issue than a blindness issue, although blindness can make things like
eye contact trickier.  I hope I didn't come off condescending, or
arrogant...I just wish you'd thoroughly consider things before just
saying "no!  That won't work for me."
  Best,
Kirt