[nabs-l] ENC 1102 Class, Research Paper Assignment

Suzanne Germano sgermano at asu.edu
Fri Jul 5 16:22:16 UTC 2013

As I responded before I experienced discrimination form professors at San
Diego State University and Grossmont College.

At SDSU, I was speaking with a dean of the chemistry department about
changing my major from computer science to computational science and he
said to me "I cannot imagine any job you can do". I am low vision. i used
large print, took my tests in the classroom in large print, used monocular
to read the board and was getting As. None of that mattered. He felt
because I had a visual impairment that I could not any job.

At Grossmont College, I was in a certificate program for computer science
and information systems. The program was limited to students with
disabilities. We had our own high tech classroom with screen magnification,
signers for the deaf students etc. We were each assigned a mentor form the
Business Advisory Council who were part of the program so they knew every
student had a disability. In my first conversation with my mentor he said,
"I cant imagine you being able to get a job as a programmer if you can't
see".

I returned to school at ASU, Jan 2013 and in the courses I had, I did not
have any discrimination. I have only had interactions with a few professors
so far. Disabled student services seem to provide what I need. They will
scan books for electronic or print out large print. The school tried to get
the computer in the classroom equipped with MAGic but it crashed the
program we were using so they they brought in a second monitor so I could
have that monitor with windows magnification which absolutely sucks and the
students in my group used the other screen at regular size. The professor I
have now for a programming class remembers to bring all the in class
assignments printed out large for me.

If you want more detail let me know