[nabs-l] ENC 1102 Class, Research Paper Assignment

Jewel herekittykat2 at gmail.com
Fri Jul 5 23:13:01 UTC 2013

I began college at Wake Tech Community College in the fall of 2010, but had to drop from the first semester due to the Department of Services for the Blind here in Raleigh, North Carolina failing to provide essential assistive technology in time for use in that semester. The technology included a laptop, refreshable Braille display, and a Braille embosser from which to print needed textbooks and workbooks for use at home and in the classroom. I was left only with a slate and stylus to write notes, impossible for me because of a chronic pain disorder. This was all before I knew about the disability support office and what it can offer.
I tried again the next semester with my assistive technology and the support of the DSO, but unfortunately had to drop again because of the onset of a grakrg-related emergency that put me in the hospital for two weeks.
After recovering and resting, I tried once again in the fall of 2011, with the medically necessary accommodation of being considered full-time for rehabilitation purposes at three-quarter-time. I began with English 112, Intro to Psychology, and Pre-Algebra mathematics. For the literature and psychology classes, I needed no initial accommodation other than my books in an accessible format. The psychology book came from Bookshare, and even though the English book was available from Learning Ally, the college also scanned the book and provided it in Word documents so I could see spelling and note paragraph numbers, which they inserted by hand into the documents. For the math class, I was assigned a helper for the math lab homework, as the company website was mostly inaccessible. The reader would read the problem, wait for me to solve it, tutor me on the concepts if I couldn't solve the problem, and type my answer into the website. In class, I used a combination of Braille notes and a fumk-page slate and stylus to work problems as they were presented. I was helped to find a book on the Nemeth code to help with solving problems in math class.
All of my tests were presented in either a Word document or Braille, and there was a competent assistant in the room to help with any problems students might have. I was given time and a half or double time depending on the test and the media used. For example, I was given double time when taking a test that involved Nemeth code because I was not very proficient in reading it.
Other classes and other semesters were similar. Professors knew how to work with a blind student because the college had had workshops on the subject that professors could get continuing education credits for. They spoke what they wrote on the board, and provided accessible Powerpoints with descriptions of charts, graphs, and images. If they didn't have these accessible Powerpoints, DSO created them and I always received them at least a week prior to the actual lecture so I would be sure to have it by that time. Visual activities in Communications class and other classes were modified so I could participate. For example, an activity in Psychology class required labelling the parts of the brain on a picture. The professor made it an activity for groups, and brought in a realistic rubber model of the brain that separated into all of the main parts. As I explored this model, she told me what each section was and then had me put the brain back together and name the parts with my partner.
Fast forward to the most difficult, in my opinion, classes to make accessible: two semesters of Biology, the first in microbiology and the second in grandmother macrobiology. For both classes, I was assigned a lab partner with experience in biology. For microbiology, I was given tactile images of the bell cells and bacteria that was presented to us in lab, along with verbal descriptions of the slide. I was expected, as were all the students, to learn how to use the microscope and handle slides. I did the work and my sighted assistant only provided verbal descriptions and ensured I had the right tactile image. The same was true for macrobiology, where I learned how to cut into a fetal pig and learned the organs by feel. My sighted assistant stood by to provide descriptions of color, placement, and full descriptions of organs too small to feel accurately. Again, I was provided tactile images to supplement and study by. I was also given audio descriptions during videos, and even cut out shapes handmade by DSO employees, such as a shape of a hip to identify gender markers. The only activity I didn't participate fully in was a visit to a nearby state park. I was unable to walk the trails with the other student's due to my physical limitations. The walk was over a mile and included climbing a tall and steep stairway, all at a very fast pace. Instead, I was given an assignment to research the park and its program's and answer questions based on a recording made of the park ranger during the class walk. I felt it was a fair and good alternative assignment.
I have been very happy at my college and feel I was never discriminated against in any way. The school went beyond and above to ensure I and the other blind student's have an equal opportunity to succeed in their education. I feel that I would not have, without the help of the college's DSO, made it as far as I have. I am a member of Phi Beta Kappa, the community college honor society and have a 3.7 GPA. I feel I will continue to succeed at this college and have the same chance as any student's at the college to do so.
Sorry about the length. If you have any questions, feel free to ask away.
-Jewel

Sent from my iPhone