[nabs-l] The technology in specialized notetakers

Kaiti Shelton crazy4clarinet104 at gmail.com
Sun Jul 14 03:38:10 UTC 2013

Unless they've also bought you a braille display to go along with the
laptop, I don't see why they can't get you something with a
refreshable braille display.  In addition to that a notetaker has
different functionality than a laptop; it's more like a PDA and a
device specific to notetaking then a "braille computer" as some call
it.  You can try using that argument, and anyone else pitch in with
their justifications too.  As someone who has gone through the
majority of their schooling, (upwards of fourth grade) with access to
a notetaker and a computer for work, I can definitely say that both
devices come in handy at different times and sometimes the
circumstances warrant the use of one device over the other.

Antonio, you're right.  I've showed the On-Hand to a few people who
have Humanware products and they've all seemed to like it.  I jokingly
said to someone that it was the real "Lightest and smallest notetaker
on the market," which of course is what Humanware claimed about the
Apex for a while, and they were shocked both at how little it was and
how quiet and well-oiled the keys seemed to be.  It was like the best
of both worlds; small size without the buttons getting stuck or the
really loud noise given off when typing a document.

Kaiti