[nabs-l] netflixsays "no" to audio description

Arielle Silverman arielle71 at gmail.com
Tue Jul 16 02:04:36 UTC 2013

I agree it would be easy enough to get Netflix content described, but
I wouldn't rank it high on my own priority list. For me the biggest
battles we fight should revolve around education, employment and
access to health and safety information. The NFB has gone after
accessibility cases before, but most were directly related to
educational or job-related content, like inaccessible Kindles being
used in classrooms and inaccessible Google apps. I suppose the Target
lawsuit was an exception, and so I wasn't totally in agreement with
that one, unless someone could convince me that making Target.com
accessible would help more people get jobs. I love online shopping,
but just don't think it's as important as these other things.
I also have mixed feelings about audio description itself. There are
times when it is helpful, but it can also be distracting and alter the
mood of a movie or show. For example, when I watched the Sound of
Music in described format, I was annoyed by the narrators cutting into
all my favorite songs. Sometimes I wonder if I would enjoy
action-adventure films more if they were described, but then again I'm
not sure how much fight scenes would interest me even if I knew
exactly what was happening. Finally, audio description does no good if
the television, DVD player or Netflix program doesn't have accessible
controls. Many modern televisions don't have accessible menus, so I'm
not sure how easily a blind person can turn audio description on and
off without sighted help even if it was available. To me, going to all
the trouble of making something described and then playing it on an
inaccessible device totally nullifies any benefits of the audio
description, and this ends up wasting the time and money of the folks
who made it described in the first place. So I'd like to see us press
on with initiatives that will make user electronics accessible before
we worry too much about audio-describing the content.

Arielle