[nabs-l] Microsoft Office question

Antonio M. Guimaraes Jr. freethaught at gmail.com
Thu Jul 18 16:52:56 UTC 2013

Steve and all,

While I agree that the initial
set up for VMWare on the mac can be daunting, I wouldn't discourage the practice.

VMWare and Windows can be installed with sighted assistance, and accessed without major hassle.

I would say that continued access to sighted help might be necessary to insure you can fix things when they break with VMWare.

It is likely Josh will have expert sighted assistance at the school lab.

Steve, you said that windows on the Mac is not a simple thing, but it can work. I would go a bit further by saying it does work, and is likely to work better with time, especially if VMWare is willing to make things more accessible.

Blind people have more access to the Mac environment than assistive technology experts of our day may be comfortable with.

There are trainers starting to teach on the Mac, and some have contracts with state rehab agencies. One such trainer, John Panarese, presented at the AT Trainers meeting at convention this year. I have not yet trained with John, but he has given me the impression he is highly skilled and professional. I would encourage folks to reach out to him to see if they can benefit from training.

I do not work with John, but recognize the potential contributions he can make to my training ad that of others.

There is a big learning curve to climb with the Mac, but most people can learn it if they can learn the PC environment.

Antonio