[nabs-l] Tips for soon-to-be grads who are looking for work

Arielle Silverman arielle71 at gmail.com
Sat Jul 20 16:55:23 UTC 2013

I don't know much about sociology careers, but it is hard to get a
permanent job with a bachelo'rs degree in psychology. Most jobs
require either a master's degree in counseling psychology or social
work if you wish to practice therapy, or a doctoral degree in some
subspecialty of psychology if you wish to become a researcher. There
are some temporary (1-3-year) jobs involving research (research
assistant or lab manager positions) if you are on a research track.
There may also be jobs that are entry-level enough to require a basic
bachelor's degree in any field, which you might be qualified for. Some
government jobs may not specify what your degree is in, so for those a
bachelor's degree might be enough. But if you actually want to do work
that relates to behavioral science either on the client-service side
or on the research side, an advanced degree is usually required in
today's job market. Some of these advanced degree programs are funded,
so they may not be as expensive as they sound. If you think you want
to either practice therapy or conduct research, a good next step may
be going and taking the GRE if you haven't already, and researching
graduate programs. The American Psychological Association has lots of
online resources for people at your career stage (between bachelor's
and master's degree). Best of luck