[nabs-l] Participants needed for brief research study

Katie Wang bunnykatie6 at gmail.com
Sat Jul 20 19:04:31 UTC 2013

Hi all,

Chris, unfortunately the survey is only open to those  who are over
18. Per university regulations, minors need parental permission in
order to participate in a study, so it is common for researchers to
apply this age restriction.

Antonio, I'm sorry about the low compensation. I understand that your
time is valuable and really appreciate your considering to take this
survey. As academics, though, we do have to make do with a limited
budget - While I could have opted to give out larger individual
prizes, in order to keep the total costs down I would have to reduce
the odds of winning the lottery and therefore fewer participants would
receive any compensation for their time. It is also worth pointing out
that neuroscience researchers tend to pay their participants a lot
more because of the demanding nature of their experiments - One would
have to travel to the laboratory at a designated time and endure the
discomfort of being stuck in a FMRI scanner. In contrast, the current
on-line survey can be done any time on one's own computer and should
not take more than 10-15 minutes. That said, much of survey research
does depend on people's interest in social sciences and their
willingness to help addressing the research question, so your
complaint is not a completely invalid one - It is just part of the
reality of how on-line research is conducted.

Thanks so much to those of you who have already participated!
Katie