[nabs-l] Working with Universities

Lucy Sirianni lucysirianni at earthlink.net
Sun Jul 28 00:30:11 UTC 2013

Hi Anna,

   I've assisted professors with research as well as teaching
both as an undergraduate and graduate student.  It's always been
a fantastic experience that has helped me form relationships with
professors and more fully understand their work.  The
opportunities I've had to work with professors helped me decide
to pursue a career as a professor myself, and they've also been
great for my résumé, aiding me in finding scholarships, getting
into a Ph.D.  program, etc.  I'd highly recommend this type of
work and think that, assuming the professor in question is open
to working with you (which he or she of course should be), there
shouldn't be any blindness-related issues; just ask for the
accommodations you need, as you would in a classroom setting.  If
you have any additional questions, feel free to let me know.  And
as Arielle points out, if you let us know the field in which you
might be working, some of us on this list might be able to offer
more specific advice.

Lucy

<nabs-l at nfbnet.org
>Date sent: Sat, 27 Jul 2013 19:14:44 -0500
>Subject: [nabs-l] Working with Universities

>I am wondering how many of you have worked with your colleges
assisting with research in some way.  When working with a
professor in this way, what were some of the good and bad things
you encountered in getting involved.