[nabs-l] Starting a collegiate goalball league.

Kaiti Shelton crazy4clarinet104 at gmail.com
Tue Jul 30 21:21:49 UTC 2013

Hi all,

Last week I met a guy who is in my state's division of USABA, and as
we were talking I told him I went to school in a city which has two
pretty big colleges.  The city south and the city north of there both
have goalball teams and leagues, but that city does not.  We discussed
setting up an inter-collegiate league since the state college has a
fair amount of blind students, and we'd try to get sighted students to
fill in since I'm one of two blind students in my university.  I have
a few questions and would appreciate any feedback or advice on them.
I know there are some colleges like one in Oregon that have goalball
leagues, and am wondering if anyone one the list is, has, or knows
someone I could talk to from there about starting up; what are some
strategies for marketing goalball to sighted students who have never
heard of it before and might be reluctant to forfeit their eyes for a
little while; and if you know a sighted person who plays, what drew
them in and got them interested in the game?  The plan is to open the
league to general community members if needed, but we like the college
format and would like to try that first.  Again, any advice or
suggestions would be appreciated.

--
Kaiti