[nabs-l] Some Questions...

Kerri Kosten kerrik2006 at gmail.com
Fri Jun 7 23:43:46 UTC 2013

Hi Everyone:

I don't want to say too much on a public list, so I am going to try to
keep this very general and just ask my questions.
Basically, how did you decide what you wanted to do in life for a career?
How did you pick your major?
If you do not have much confidence in yourself, how did you find out
what you were passionate about/wanted to do?
How did you find internal motivation?
How did you decide whether to go to school, or just get a job?
What jobs can blind people do without a degree?
What jobs can a blind person do just to gain confidence in themselves
until they find direction?
I find myself really struggling now that I am out of training. I did
really well in training, but the goals I set in training do not apply
now in the situation I am in because those goals were training
specific. I think I also did really well in training because it was a
routine and I got used to it. I was also always told what to do, or
knew what I needed to work on in each class.
I am really struggling finding motivation now that I am on my own and
don't have the training center staff encouraging me, pushing me, and
telling me what to do.
My problem I think is if I am scared of someone, or I really
respect/admire someone, or I am intimidated by someone, I will work as
hard as I can and make sure to do everything they say. But, when just
left to myself, on my own, I really really struggle to find
motivation, make decisions about things, and find direction.
Does anyone else find themselves struggling with this kind of thing
after training or am I the only one?
How have you gotten through it and found direction/your passion and
what you wanted to do?
The problem is my Rehab counselor called me today. He is someone I
really respect. I am now stressing out because I want to at least have
a plan for him when I return his call. I at least want him to think
that after spending so much money to send me to training, I am
motivated and am doing things and taking some sort of action rather
than sitting around.
But, I have no idea what jobs to look for or what to do. A Dunkin
Donuts just opened here recently. Is there anything I could do there?
I just want to show my counselor I have been doing something or at
least have a plan.
Thanks so much, and I look forward to reading your responses!
Kerri