[nabs-l] Some Questions...

Joshua Hendrickson louvins at gmail.com
Sat Jun 8 02:54:25 UTC 2013

Hello Kerri.  I really like all the suggestions others have already
stated.  Here are my thoughts.  Kerri, like others have already said,
think about what things you like to do.  What are your strengths.  For
me, I am almost done with my associates degree at a local comunity
college.  I know I am good with computers, and have done a few online
presentations on various programs.  Since I enjoy using and learning
about different assistive technology, I'd like to become an assistive
tech teacher.  If you do go to a comunity, taking General education
classes is ok.  The nice thing about doing this, is once you've taken
your required classes, you can take electives which are classes you
want to take based on whatever your interests are.  I am also good at
guitar playing, and I have an ear for music.  So, I took a class which
was music for elementary teachers.  I received an A, a 98% in the
class, because I could already play the acoustic guitar.  Even though,
I'm going to college to become an assistive technology teacher, I'm
not going to forget about my love of listening to, and playing music.
Talk to your VR counselor and voice your concerns to him, I'm glad you
respect him, but he shouldn't mind, if you're unsure of what to do,
now that you've had some training.  Remember, asking about things
you're not sure of isn't a weaknes, but a strength.  Also, advocate
for yourself, if you want things done, make the calls, get sighted
help when you need it.  An example, for my online class I'm going to
take in the fall, I knew I needed to find out how much the class was
going to cost.  I know I could have had my dad look up the info
online, but I called the college, and got in touch with the proper
people who handle payments for classes and that kind of thing.  I know
taking an online class for me will be different, as I've never taken
one before, but, I'm going to do it, and if I need help, I'll ask for
it.  I know, it can be hard, I didn't ask for help when I first began
college, but now, it has gotten easier.  Good luck Kerri, I know you
can do anything you put your mind to.

--
Joshua T Hendrickson