[nabs-l] young professionals division?

Joe jsoro620 at gmail.com
Fri Jun 14 00:36:25 UTC 2013

I see the rationale for expanding NABS, but one, it would make the scope of
the organization that much broader than it already is, and two, NABS still
has to get in the weeds of the philosophy fundamentals: training centers,
disability offices, the importance of self-advocacy, etc. When I think of a
professional organization, I'm thinking concrete items like accessibility in
the workplace, a measure of mentorship for people working in similar fields
such as federal employees, and yes, a means of enabling otherwise busy
professionals to lend a hand with advocacy. I'm a busy guy but still like
signing petitions and calling up congress people in favor of or in protest
to some measure or another. Having opened this can of worms, I want to be
clear that I'm not saying the NFB should dramatically change itself to meet
every unique need of a young professional, but to an extend there needs to
be a cool factor that overrides a person's sense of apathy. I get up at 4:00
in the morning to be at my office by 6:00. I get home more or less around
5:00, and I need something to make me want to go to a chapter meeting. Yes,
it's only once a month, but you active chapter members know there is a lot
more activity than just the one gathering. Yes, there are dozens of
divisions that cater to specific interests, hence my opposition to most
divisions in general, but having too many choices makes people like me not
want to participate in any of it. If I don't make it to the national
convention and can't make Washington Seminar, where does that leave people
like me? Perhaps an alternative organization, but being burned out on the
Federation does not mean I think the organization is a bad one. Anyway,
enough babble from me. If I express these sentiments at all, it is because I
think NABS could be in the position to generate some possibilities. Maybe a
happy hour for professionals next year in Washington? It'd be a start.

Joe