[nabs-l] social networks

Greg Aikens gpaikens at gmail.com
Sat Jun 22 00:59:57 UTC 2013

Hi Ashley,
Many, many blind people I know are using Facebook and twitter successfully.  I appreciate you asking around about which social media people prefer to use, but now that you know that some blind people are having success with each of these major outlets, I would encourage you to go try them yourself.  If you run into difficulties, you have a community of blind students just an email away to help you figure them out.  Explaining the ins and outs of each one and their accessibility with screen readers would be a huge undertaking.  Each social media outlet seems to have its own accessibility issues, but many of them can be worked around.

So go explore.  Most of them have a set up process or a newbie orientation that will walk you through the basics.  Most will give you the option of importing your contacts from your email account to see if they are already on Facebook, twitter, etc.

If you get stuck or frustrated, ask questions.  IMO, learning to make use of social media is increasingly important socially and for employment.  It can be frustrating but also a rewarding and valuable tool.

best of luck,
Greg