[nabs-l] Navigating Job Fairs

Arielle Silverman arielle71 at gmail.com
Mon Mar 11 22:43:35 UTC 2013

This is a great question and I'm curious to hear from anyone who has
successfully made a job connection at a job fair. I suspect that job
fairs are a resource under-utilized by blind job seekers, in part
because of the access issues being brought up here.
I agree that bringing a guide or reader would probably be wise, though
I know it may be difficult to find someone to do it. If you have a
dedicated reader already then this seems like a fine time to bring
this person along and compensate them for their help in navigating and
filling out job applications. I would be less excited about the idea
of bringing a family member or friend with you since it is an
imposition on their time (plus telling the employer you are with your
mom or dad might make a less favorable impression) but depending on
the kind of relationship you have with this person, this may work. You
also want to be sure your reader/guide goes where you want them to go
and doesn't filter the information for you (again, this can be a
problem with parents etc. sometimes). On the other hand, if you don't
have access to a reader, going at a less busy time and asking each
table who they are seems like a fine solution too. It would also be
nice if the job fair had an information table and then you could go
there and ask the representative to point you to specific employers'
tables (who you've identified in advance by looking at the online
info).
Best of luck and keep us posted,
Arielle