[nabs-l] alternatives to visual games

Ashley Bramlett bookwormahb at earthlink.net
Tue Mar 12 00:12:14 UTC 2013

Hi all,

There is a heavy trend toward developing video games and portable games for on screen use.
>From fun games like bowling and basketball to academic games for math and science, they are out there.
Some are portable; others are for home use.
For at home we have the WII, Playstation and xbox. For portable options, there are numerous ones. All tablets and smart phones have games. Then you have the Kindle, Nook, and more.

So what technology, if any, do you use as an alternative to these on screen games?
Games range from adaptations of real card or board games to new ones developed for these portable book readers and tablets.
Scrabble, Hangman, monopoly, and word searches are some games.

I am beginning to feel left out when people talk about all these games. Perhaps, you all feel that way.
My mother, who usually hates technology, has fallen in love with a few games on her new Kindle Fire; of course, not accessible to us. My mom is intimidated by computers, yet somehow picked up the concept in the kindle okay. She has games, music aps, and books on it.
Perhaps, there are IOS games out there. I suppose there are computer games which I just haven’t looked at.
I’d love to have a version of hangman, word puzzles, and card games for the pc.
There are two games I had as a kid; I don’t know if both still exist as its old technology. But one does.
1. The Speak n Spell was a handheld thing; like a primative computer. You used it as a dictionary and it had academic games on it such as guessing partial words, a word scramble where you had to unscramble letters to make a word, word matching, and more games.
2. The Franklin Language master still exists; I saw it online. Most have the pc for a dictionary. But for those who want another portable option or a way to expand your vocabulary, this is excellent. It is lightweight with a qwerty style keyboard and speaks everything as well as a way to magnify the text. You can play word games on it such as hangman, word scramble, flash cards, word train, creating anagrams and more. I think there’s ten games on it.

So what else is out there? Maybe something from APH?

Thanks.
Ashley