[nabs-l] STEP Program offered by Junior Blind of America

Brandon Keith Biggs brandonkeithbiggs at gmail.com
Thu Mar 14 04:47:56 UTC 2013

Hello,
It depends where you are at in your living skills. I had been living on my
own for a few months before I went to the Step 2 program and I found it only
good for the few hours of work experience they provided. They aren't very
inventive when it comes to giving each person a unique work environment, but
you do get to do an internship. I did not like however, the step 1 folks
were mentored by the step 2 people for both sessions and the step 2 people
had to sit through classes the step 1 participant's were taking.
Step 1 is a ton of classes on how to give an interview, talk about yourself
and act professionally dressing wise and so on. When I went it was very
lecture based and very little real-time experiences, but I could tell some
people really needed the learning. I could already cook, clean, do laundry
and had had a summer job the year before in a much freer environment, so I
found STEP oppressive, but I did learn how to deal with authority in a
mature way and even though I won't repeat it, I am glad I went.
The campus is also very oddly situated, so it takes for ever to go anywhere
and they expect people to work around the schedule they set up, so for
example, I had a 2 hour commute on Para transit to and from work and I had
work to do at home. They were not very accommodating for those of us who
wanted to become work junkies, working till 10, grabbing food, then waking
up at 6 and leaving. They wanted you to actually be around with other people
and do tasks like instruct the other students on how to use the computer for
example.
Personally, the YES2 program in Washington state is more my cup of tee than
the STEP2 program, but I know plenty of other people who really loved it and
or who would really like it.
You can email me off list if you have any more questions.
brandonkeithbiggs at gmail.com
Thanks,

Brandon Keith Biggs