[nabs-l] Quick help with Google docs

Cindy clb5590 at gmail.com
Fri Mar 15 16:43:37 UTC 2013

How is google drive more accessible? Can you create documents within google drive? To me it seemed similar to an empty Dropbox. That is since I couldn't figure out how to even open a document.

I tried on the web yesterday but if you use JAWS, NVDA, or VoiceOver, the "supported" screen readers, you have to turn off typing feedback, the virtual cursor in all applications, and auto forms mode and forms mode in general. To me, that is too much to do every time I switch windows, so I think that Jordyn is correct in that ChromeVox might be the best bet. You have to download google chrome and then get the chromevox extension from the google chrome store. I got as far as the crappy interactive tutorial. I recommend opening up the list of chromevox keystrokes in another internet browser while attempting the tutorial. That's what I am going to try today. So maybe if I can get the hang of chromevox I'll start trying to use it with docs and calendar. I read 2 different things on different google web pages. One said that chromevox is intended to be a screen reader supplement meant to enhance the accessibility of their products. The page on chromevox in the chrome store said that this feature is not yet available and that other screen readers should be turned off before accessing google chrome with chromevox. So I'm not sure which is true. I should have attempted to use it in conjunction with jaws first, because without thinking, I put jaws to sleep in chrome and I learned that to disable sleep mode I have to have sighted assistance to click the buttons or I have to reset jaws settings. I looked all around for this answer and finally called tech support. The person I talked to did not seem to really know that much or be happy to assist me with my question, so if anyone knows another way to disable sleep mode, I'd be excited to learn it so I can independently toggle between attempting things with and without JAWS in conjunction with ChromeVox. So that's as far as I got yesterday. If anyone else has any good information about google products please keep it coming!

Cindy Bennett
Legislative Coordinator: National Federation of the Blind of Washington
Secretary: National Association of Blind Students

B.A. Psychology: UNC Wilmington
clb5590 at gmail.com
Sent from my iPhone