[nabs-l] Quick help with Google docs

Cindy Bennett clb5590 at gmail.com
Sat Mar 16 02:19:21 UTC 2013

Ok, really interesting discovery.

I enabled sleep mode with JAWS while in Chrome using ChromeVox, and
then I attempted to figure out how to disable sleep mode to see if
JAWS can in fact work in conjunction with ChromeVox.

If you press insert 6, you can view the settings for all of the
applications on your computer. However, Chrome did not appear in this
list of applications.

Turns out that when you enable sleep mode in Chrome, it enables it in
Firefox too. Somehow Chrome is using those settings. So Chrome will
not show up as an application. The good thing about this is that it is
easy to toggle sleep mode with JAWS when using Chrome. The bad news is
that if you use Firefox and Chrome at the same time, you will have to
toggle this setting each time you switch windows. So I don't really
recommend that.

I opened Firefox yesterday and thought the page was frozen because
JAWS didn't talk at all. But now I know that it is really because when
I put JAWS to sleep in Chrome, it went to sleep in Firefox as well.

Bizarre.

Cindy

clb5590 at gmail.com