[nabs-l] Oral Care for Blind Patients | eHow.com

Carrie Gilmer carrie.gilmer at gmail.com
Fri Mar 22 21:16:30 UTC 2013

While these may seem like sarcastic articles from The Onion or SNL type humor to us, they are quite serious. Tens of thousands of people go to eHow for information...some of it is ridiculous and clearly wrong information. But how does one know? Only if one has some accurate knowledge base already held on the subject. When people are searching for info these days, they search the web. This comes up. People believed it enough to write it, and I can assure you not as a joke.  I have seen similar before from organizations and centers for the blind, MANY TIMES...written by supposed professionals in the "field" of blindness.
People who might go to this site:
Parents of Blind children, especially new ones.
Regular classroom teachers of blind children.
Nurses in an ICU or care facility who have their first blind patient.
Employers or coworkers who are curious.
Someone thinking of dating or befriending "that blind person" in class, across the hall, on the bus....
Children of parents losing vision.
Spouses of people losing vision.
Dental office worker or hygienist with first blind patient.
And on and on.....
Just the titles alone could scare the beggeeebus out of anyone thinking of "what to do with that new blind person in my life"....and there are not counter articles...they are many, some give references to legitimate sources but even those for people who know are incorrect, misleading or mixed up, seriously, or quoted out of context...

Carrie
Sent from my iPad