[nabs-l] eHow internet article series on blindness

Chris Nusbaum dotkid.nusbaum at gmail.com
Fri Mar 22 22:46:45 UTC 2013

Joshua and all,

Sometimes, unfortunately, we just can't win with these people. Despite all
our attempts to educate by word and by example, some people either cannot or
do not get it. Frustrating, I know.

The problem, I believe, with articles such as these is that they don't
consult blind people ourselves or even sighted people who have a more
accurate and positive outlook on blindness. We always blame society's
misconceptions about us for erroneous information in articles and other
published material. But I sometimes wonder where they got such ridiculous
ideas about the capabilities of blind people. Judging from my personal
experience, this nonsense is far beyond even the norm of everyday
misconceptions.

However, let me add that all hope is not lost. If these media people would
actually talk with the blind ourselves, we usually get a much different
result. We instead get final products like the Nick News special on blind
kids which aired in January. By the way, I'm not trying to brag or toot my
own horn when saying this. My role in the production of that program was
just as an interviewee and occasional information provider. I had no control
over how the segment would be introduced or what parts of my interview (or
anybody else's) they showed. However, anyone who watched it would probably
agree that the light in which we were portrayed on that show was a far cry
from the eHow series of articles.

Oh well... all we can do is to educate as much as we can and laugh at the
ridiculousness we get from time to time. It is frustrating, though.

Chriss

Chris Nusbaum, Co-Chair
Public Relations Committee
Maryland Association of Blind Students