[nabs-l] Using Terminal on a Mac

Greg Aikens gpaikens at gmail.com
Sun Mar 31 21:02:44 UTC 2013

Hi Cindy,
When working in terminal, you can interact with the part of the screen called "Shell text."  You can use the VO cursor commands to move back up through the previous text.  However, when new text is output, it will move your cursor back down to the bottom of the screen.  Using the arrow keys alone will let you scroll through past commands.

If you would prefer to have VO announce new text when it comes up but leave your cursor where it is, you can go into the VO utility and change some of the navigation settings to make this happen.  Specifically, make sure the VO cursor follows keyboard and VO cursor follows insertion point boxes are not checked.  I have an activity set up with these preferences so that whenever I open terminal, VO remembers my settings and automatically switches.

I hope this makes sense.  Let me know if you have more questions.

-Greg