[nabs-l] Guide Dog or Cane? Which do u recommend and why?

Arielle Silverman arielle71 at gmail.com
Fri Nov 1 01:13:36 UTC 2013

Hi Haley,

When I was in high school several people from outside the blindness
world pressured me to get a guide dog before college. I also knew very
few competent blind adults who used canes, so I was pushed toward
getting a dog because I thought I needed one to be a competent
traveler. I eventually decided to delay getting a dog because at age
18 I didn't feel ready for the responsibility. After delaying for a
couple years and meeting a bunch of competent cane travelers in
college, I made that a permanent decision. I'm not sure if you too are
experiencing pressure to get a dog but if you are, I don't think that
should factor into your decision. There are many people who are happy
as guide dog users and have a great travel experience. But there are
others of us who are equally happy using a cane. I think if you want
to get a dog, it should be because you really love dogs, because you
like that style of travel, or ideally both.
For me, I chose not to for two main reasons. First, I am the kind of
traveler who needs to know what's around and be in control. If another
being is guiding me I tend to space out and lose track of where I am
going. I need to be in contact with things in the environment to keep
my bearings and be able to make confident travel decisions. However,
some people don't have that problem and they appreciate being guided
around obstacles. Second, I like my solitude and am not motivated to
have a companion all the time, plus the responsibility and stress that
goes along with it. But again, it's a personal choice and for some
people it is worth the trouble to have that special bond with a dog.
I think you can learn a lot by talking with lots of guide dog users
and seeing how well the lifestyle and travel method fits with your
personal style. But there is also the reality that you can always
switch from cane to dog, but it is harder to turn back once you have
decided to commit to have a dog. So, I would not recommend getting a
dog unless you feel you are ready and really motivated to have that
experience.

Best,
Arielle