[nabs-l] neonatal nurse

Arielle Silverman arielle71 at gmail.com
Fri Nov 1 01:36:14 UTC 2013

Hi Keira,

Welcome to the list!
I would recommend starting one step at a time, by taking some basic
nursing classes. You should not face much, if any, discouragement at
this early stage, and the basic classes will help you learn more about
the nursing field. If you do decide to continue and get your nursing
degree, and run into naysayers later, you will have more detailed
knowledge to share with them about how you will do the job as a blind
person.

I'd imagine that being a PCA is completely accessible, and that being
a nurse is mostly accessible. There may be a few things with regard to
measuring medications that are not accessible without some tweaking,
but you could do it in collaboration with a sighted nurse or medical
assistant.

I know of blind people who have drawn blood and performed very basic
surgical procedures as medical students. There is a book called White
Coat, White Cane, written by a blind guy named David Hartman who
obtained his M.D. and performed such procedures during his training.
Tim Cordes is another blind psychiatrist who went through an M.D.
program. Nursing and doctoring are different things, but it seems that
if these folks were able to do blood draws nonvisually, you should be
able to handle giving injections and other nursing duties.

Best,
Arielle