[nabs-l] blind person becoming a teacher

Lucy Sirianni lucysirianni at earthlink.net
Fri Nov 1 15:31:42 UTC 2013

Hi Kelsey,

      Yes, a blind person can absolutely become a teacher! I
teach literature at the college level and know many other blind
folks who teach various subjects and age groups.  I wonder if
you're aware of the following resources.

      First, are you familiar with the book Teachers who are
Blind or Visually Impaired by Deborah Kendrick? It profiles 18
teachers and discusses their strategies for classroom management,
etc.  I believe it's available on Bookshare.  Also, if you
haven't already, check out www.blindteachers.net for more
profiles of successful blind teachers at all levels.

      Also, you might want to register with
www.afb.org/careerconnect/.  This website allows you to search
for and connect with blind individuals in many areas of
employment.  I received some wonderful tips from the English
professors I talked with through the site when I was starting out
in the field, and I'm sure you'd find people who could answer
your questions as well.

      Finally, the National Organization of Blind Educators has a
listserv.  To subscribe, visit this link:

      I hope this is of help to you, and very best of luck as you
decide whether to pursue a career in teaching!

Lucy