[nabs-l] blind person becoming a teacher

Arielle Silverman arielle71 at gmail.com
Fri Nov 1 19:12:56 UTC 2013

Hi Kelsey,

I think the National Organization of Blind Educators list that Lucy
mentioned would be a great resource. I've been to a couple of their
meetings and they share a lot about classroom management. From what
I've learned from them, blind teachers do often have a sighted aide in
the classroom, but this isn't an uncommon thing for teachers to have
regardless of blindness. As the teacher you are still the main one in
charge of the class and the material.
Also, Erik Weihenmeyer, the blind guy who climbed Mount Everest, was a
fifth-grade teacher in Arizona. He taught some of my sighted friends
growing up, and I remember going to visit his class.

Best,
Arielle