[nabs-l] PDF Files

James Hulme jim.hulme at gmail.com
Tue Nov 5 01:55:19 UTC 2013

Hello Hannah

OCR stands for optical character reader or recognition

OCR in full *optical character recognition*

Scanning and comparison technique intended to identify printed text or
numerical data. It avoids the need to retype already printed material for
data entry. OCR software attempts to identify characters by comparing
shapes to those stored in the software library. The software tries to
identify words using character proximity and will try to reconstruct the
original page layout. High accuracy can be obtained by using sharp, clear
scans of high-quality originals, but it decreases as the quality of the
original declines.

text)*Optical Character Recognition* - (OCR, sometimes /oh'k*/) Recognition
of printed or written characters by computer. Each page of text is
converted to a digital using a
scanner<http://encyclopedia2.thefreedictionary.com/scanner>and
OCR is then applied to this image to produce a text file. This involves
complex image processing<http://encyclopedia2.thefreedictionary.com/image+processing>
algorithms
and rarely achieves 100% accuracy so manual proof reading is recommended.

if whenever you do not know what something stands for whether it be an
acronym or meaning of a word you can now just use:

Free Dict <http://www.thefreedictionary.com/>

Please also send this message back to Hope Paulos and tell her as well. I
am sorry I do not have her email here.

Please answer me back to jim.hulme at gmail.com

Hope that helps,

Jimmy Hulme (New Jersey)