[nabs-l] Over Night College Visit

Julie McGinnity kaybaycar at gmail.com
Sun Nov 10 20:16:49 UTC 2013

Hi Lizzy,

I agree with what most everyone has said.  You should bring the dog.
Here are my reasons:

People need to get used to you having the dog, and you should get used
to their reactions: You may do other college visits, interviews,
retreats, etc in your life, and you may be concerned about reactions
to the dog.  It is good to get into the habbit of taking the dog to
these things so that you and the dog can work on navigating new
environments together.  She(or he) is your mobility tool, and people
need to understand that.  You also should know that throughout your
life as a guide dog user, you will encounter people who don't like you
correcting your dog.  It has happened to me, and it will probably
happen again.  As long as you correct quietly, give lots of praise
when it's earned, and use positive reinforcement when you can, I think
you will be fine.

You have a new dog.  People should understand this.  If the dog does
something bad(sniffing, going after food), just smile, and say that
the dog is new and likes to test you.  That is quite normal, and most
sighted people think it's funny or cute.  But seriously, for the most
part, that is what your dog is probably doing.  You need to give
him/her the boundaries she/he needs to sement your bond together.  So
I think it would help you to take the dog to help your bond as a team.

Like others have said, if this is your top choice school, you might
want to see how they react to the dog before you make your choice to
go there.  I wouldn't want to go to a school where all my professors
were uncomfortable with me having a dog in the classroom, for example.
 I doubt this would happen, but you never know.

Finally, in terms of accomidations, I would talk to the people with
whom you will be interviewing and working, just in case they have
handouts.  You should do this for two reasons: to see how they react
to accomidating you(Do they promise to give you things and then never
deliver?  Do they refuse completely, send you to disability services
and refuse to work with you themselves?).  You want to know how
willing people at this university are to work with you.  Also, this
place will be where you spend the next four years of your life.  You
don't want to be left out of any information given.  You should be as
prepared as everyone else is to make your decision.

Hope this helps, and feel free to email me off list with other questions.

--
Julie McG
National Association of Guide dog Users board member,  National