[nabs-l] guide dog debate again: was Re: Over Night College Visit

Littlefield, Tyler tyler at tysdomain.com
Sun Nov 10 22:54:34 UTC 2013

I've changed the subject line of this thread so that maybe lizzy can get
more good information without more spurious facts being given.

Josh:
You've told us a lot about how it is in the sticks where you're from,
and I'm sorry you've came into contact with handlers who do not take
care of their dogs. Truth is though, while I've seen some aweful
handlers I've seen some really good handlers. We are getting off topic
here and this has nothing to do with lizzy's origenal question, but most
dogs will not do this. It seems like you're coming to these threads with
these misconceptions which you point out again and again on every thread
which vaguely talks about guide dogs. While there are dogs who do go to
the bathroom in doors from time to time, this is not the norm. I find it
rude and at least somewhat close minded then, to continually ignore
those good dogs who you may have came into contact with.

Ashley:
I am a bit concerned at your logical conclusion that someone who has a
guide will remain forever lonely and not have the life you white-cane
users will have, just because they may have a dog. Again with the
misconceptions, but let me try to clear some things up for you, always
assuming that you will bother to read and process it.

First, you can threaten to sue someone all you want, but I'm having
trouble picturing this suit go to court. Perhaps you and Josh should
exchange emails so you can keep this crap off list, but I digress.

A dog will generally sniff at people, and I've not really found anyone
who it's a problem for. If they don't like it, either the person with
the issue or myself can move and that's that. It's not a sign of bad
manners, but more a sign of the dog being curious. This really isn't
disruptive by any means--if this is an issue one just has to mention it
to the handler.

As to your licks, sniffs, barks and jumps, O my!
If you pet a dog, it will probably lick you, so I recommend you don't
actually pet the dog if you don't want to be licked. I don't remember
O'Mally ever just randomly licking someone unless they were giving him
attention, in which case that's your own problem yourself. Dogs also
don't tend to just jump on random people unless they know them, which is
again something the handler should work on. As for the barks, I've never
in the more than two years I've had O'Mally heard him bark in public,
nor have I ever seen other dogs do this during training or hwen I came
into contact with them. That's not to say it doesn't happen, but it is
uncommon.

What it basically comes down to is this. You, Josh and others prefer the
cane; if that is your prefered mode of travel, I could honestly care
less as long as you are comfortable with it. I am, however getting tired
of hearing tall tales about a dog who once went to the bathroom in a
public place and your assumptions. The chance of a dog going to the
bathroom in public is fairly unlikely, but then again so is getting
struck by lightning. I therefore recommend you stay indoors!

Now, I'd like to address one other point before I sign off. Peter has
not been kind enough to enlighten me as to the depths of his vast guide
handling and/or training experiences, but I'll address the message he sent.

When one attends a training program, the goal of that program is to
teach you the basic skills you will need in order to work with your
guide as a team. You will not leave knowing everything there is to know
about guide work, just as one who attends a few mobility lessons will
not leave knowing everything there is to travel. To add to this, having
a new guide is challenging. Not only are these guides puppies generally,
but they will also do what they can to test you and figure out the
bounds of what they can and can not do. it takes a handler and their
guide a while to become comfortable with their work and work well
together. This is a lot of givve and take on both sides, but from my own
experiences I can honestly say that the time when you begin to connect
with your guide is amazing. The thing also to remember here is unlike
canes your guides do have a mind of their own, and they might have their
off days, just like anyone else.

With all of this said, I do not believe it is right or even proper to
sit here and trash a handler who you do not know, or have never seen
work. If you have no experience in one of these training programs or
working with a guide, it is a bit insane to assume that because one does
not graduate with your vast knowledge, their handling skills are thus
somewhat inferior or should be questioned.