[nabs-l] Training centers not the real world

Arielle Silverman arielle71 at gmail.com
Mon Nov 11 03:56:46 UTC 2013

Hi RJ and all,

I think that in an ideal world, blind students would be able to learn
everything they need to know through regular integrated schools.
However, in the world that we live in, Braille and cane instruction
often falls short in public schools. Schools for the blind and centers
are designed to fill those voids. There are certainly some successful
blind people who never attended a blindness center of any kind,
because they received their basic Braille and cane instruction from
TVI's in the regular school and learned everything else at home.
However, many of us suffered either from a lack of specialized
training at school or from a lack of multi-sensory life experiences at
home that allowed us to learn to do some things nonvisually. Also, for
folks who become blind later in life, it is necessary to take some
time out to learn specialized blindness skills.
Incidentally, autistic children usually receive specialized
instruction too, though it is usually integrated into some kind of
mainstreamed school environment. Many kids today who attend schools
for the blind full-time are doing so because they have intellectual
disabilities which overshadow their blindness, but families and
educators wrongly assume that the blindness is the disability that
should be addressed. In my opinion such kids would probably be better
served in a special-education program that addresses the intellectual
impairments rather than blindness. But there might be more funding for
schools for the blind than for self-contained programs for those with
intellectual disabilities, I don't know. Perhaps cross-disability
education needs to get better.
I think the ideal arrangement is for someone to attend a
blind-specific school or center for a brief period, a year or two, to
learn the basic blindness skills in an intensive way and then return
to integrated school or work situations. If kids have had quality
blindness training, they shouldn't need nearly as much in the way of
public school accommodations, so it is probably a financial advantage
too for districts to send blind kids to specialized schools first and
then accommodate them in public schools. This was my own experience
having gone to a preschool for blind children before entering public
school in kindergarten having already mastered Braille and basic cane
skills. I really needed relatively little specialized instruction
compared to kids who entered kindergarten with no Braille skills at
all. I was in a rare place where preschool for the blind was right
near my home, but perhaps we should be investing more in developing
specialized school classes for very young blind kids. Adult center
training, too, should really be just a temporary thing. That is why
NFB centers are designed to train a student in 6-9 months so the
student never has to go back and re-train, but instead can jump
directly into work or school alongside sighted people.

I also agree that contact between blind people is really important.
Specialized school programs and centers can help make that happen
especially in towns where blind people may not run into each other on
their own. I know that my own friendships with other blind people
growing up completely changed my life and my feelings about blindness.
As an adult I still am friends with most of these folks and I still
seek contact with other blind people, but in addition to that, I have
a sighted husband and good friends and colleagues who are sighted.
Again, it's a balance between socializing with other blind people and
socializing with family, coworkers and friends who happen to be
sighted. Things like NFB chapters or summer kids' camps can help us
build connections within the blind community without pulling us out of
the sighted one.

Best,
Arielle