[nabs-l] Training centers not the real world

Cindy Bennett clb5590 at gmail.com
Mon Nov 11 04:26:28 UTC 2013

RJ,

I think these are good questions.

First, you say that "we" send blind people to centers and schools. The
NFB does not have a collective policy on where blind kids go to school
or where they get training or even if they get training. But in the
NFB, we believe that blind children deserve the same educational
opportunities as sighted children. Furthermore, we believe that
blindness training centers equip blind people with the skills and
confidence necessary to pursue fulfilling lives.

I will say that personally, I would love to see a day when we don't
have to have specialized facilities. In this world, blind children
would receive appropriate educations and have opportunities to
interact with blind and sighted children. And in this perfect world,
blind kids would gain all of the nonvisual techniques and confidence
necessary to leading fulfilling lives. But as of now,  our society
isn't like that, and unfortunately, many schools for the blind and
training centers do not equip blind people with the skills and
confidence they need. That's why we have worked so hard to develop the
teachers of blind students educational curriculum and why we host
programs for TBS's and blind students like Youth Slam to provide
examples of how to educate blind children. And that's why we have
opened 3 training centers that do not make excuses for blind attendees
but put them through a curriculum that while taken at face value does
not mimic an exact day-in-the-life of a blind person but prepares
blind people for real life. And I would argue that going to training
is quite like reality. Sure, I am probably never going to live in an
apartment complex with 20 other blind people just for probability's
sake, but the interactions we had, and the curriculum at the training
center very much represent reality. For example, I will never get into
a van and ask the driver to drop me off somewhere randomly and not
tell me, but the confidence during drop offs has prepared me for
several real-world situations when directions from Google maps didn't
tell me about the giant diagonal intersection or when I am dealing
with a cab driver who drops me off in the wrong place.

I think that taking time off to go to training is very important for
getting the full value. For example, when I was in college, there were
times when I had technology access issues. Instead of plugging through
alternative techniques for hours, I often hired a reader. Sometimes
this is more efficient, but it can also become an excuse. My priority
was to get an education and to turn an assignment, not to learn
accessibility workarounds for a particular software. So, if blindness
training was a class or something done while one is continuing their
life, it would be very easy to fall back into those patterns of making
excuses. For example, I went to training, because I knew that I was
making excuses not to use public transportation, so I had to be put
into a situation where it was my only option to help me become more
comfortable with traveling alone.

When you go to training, you are literally giving yourself time to
solely focus on skills of blindness and the confidence to use those
skills and go to school or get a job and live independently. I am
thankful that I was able to take advantage of such an amazing
opportunity. There are some strict policies at training centers, and
not every day was an amazing euphoria of learning 700 new skills, but
the curriculum is set for a reason, and we have hundreds of success
stories to prove that the reasons are valid. I would encourage anyone
who is able to take the time to go to training, because you will never
be able to concentrate like that on blindness skills at any other time
in your life. Other things will always take priority and your
nonvisual techniques will go to the back burner.

I tend to agree with you more about your schools for the blind point
simply because I have yet to witness a school for the blind giving
blind students better education than I have seen done in public
schools. This may be the case for some students who attend because
their school at home wasn't providing services, but overall, I haven't
seen much. I do think that Valerie's point is well taken though. Most
of the blind people I know who play sports went to a school for the
blind or lived near a goalball team or something like that. Similarly,
I know that access in math and science is sometimes better at schools
for the blind. So organized blindness-related schooling, sports,
training, and everything else can be good and is essential so blind
people meet role models and friends. But it would be awesome to live
in a society where this is not necessary, but chosen because of the
positive value of blind people interacting with one another. That
being said, I have enjoyed my times with other blind people because I
have developed a lot of great friendships.

Cindy