[nabs-l] Training centers not the real world

Miso Kwak kwakmiso at aol.com
Mon Nov 11 05:52:23 UTC 2013

Just like all other things I think it should be personal decision -
whether to attend training centers or not.
For school for the blind, I am a hardcore mainstream advocate.
However, I agree that learning Braille and basic cane skills is
essential.
Personally I attended school for the blind for 10 years in South Korea.
It was done so because at least at the time being mainstreamed as a
non-print reader was almost impossible in Korea.
My parents gave me opportunities to learn with sighted peers by sending
me to piano and English classes that were taught in private sectors. I
am grateful that my parents gave me the opportunity to interact with
sighted peers because it was a good motivator and eye-opener for me
personally.
For the past 6 years since I came to the U.S. I have been mainstreamed.
I believe I was able to do it quite successfully because I was
competent in Braille and basic cane skills acquired in school for the
blind in Korea.
I have no idea how it would be to be mainstreamed entire life but as
long as a student can learn Braille and cane skills properlhy I believe
mainstreaming is better because like RJ mentioned essentially we have
to learn to live in the sighted world.
Also, being mainstreamed provides so many more opportunities. Yes, it
might be harder to play sports at full measure but it doesn't mean you
don't have the opportunities to participate in extracurricular
activities.
While some school districs are better than others, I have fought and
still fighting to do what I want to do.
I was able to experience activities like competitive marching band,
model UN, and competitive swim team because I was mainstreamed.
Again, I have a different background than most of people on this list
and honestly my knowledge on how school for the blind runs in the state
is not as deep as my knowledge on Korean system but I am a firm
believer that being mainstreamed is beneficial for students in many
ways.
When it comes to training centers, I do not yet have a firm stance. I
experienced it a little over this past summer and I honestly learned a
lot but as Minh pointed out I am still not sure if it's necessary to
take 6-9 months out of my life to just focus on learning "blind skills."