[nabs-l] Training centers not the real world

Misty Dawn Bradley mistydbradley at gmail.com
Mon Nov 11 18:09:59 UTC 2013

RJ,
Your friend may also be able to speak to the director of whichever center
she would like to attend, and arrangements may be able to be made for her to
bring her child with her. This probably would not work in a dormitory
setting, but since the NFB centers use apartments instead of dormitories,
sometimes, it can be worked out for a parent to bring their child to stay
with them in the apartment while they attend the center. Your friend may
have to work out child care or after school care for the child while she is
attending center classes during the day, but the director of the center may
be able to refer her to resources she can use for that or work with her on
that aspect so she will be able to finish her training successfully.
I am currently going through this myself, as I am a single mother, but the
director has been willing to allow me to bring my child and also help me
work out the child care situation so that I will have the opportunity to
attend the center and get the training I need. I am planning to attend next
year, so I am not there yet, but the director has been very open to me
bringing my child and has assured me that we will work everything out so I
can attend. I am just in the process of getting VR in my state to allow me
to go. The one I am trying to attend is the Colorado Center, but your friend
may be able to discuss her situation with any of the directors of any of the
centers she would like to attend, and they will probably work with her on
it.
Thanks,
Misty