[nabs-l] Training centers not the real world

Mary Fernandez trillian551 at gmail.com
Mon Nov 11 20:52:54 UTC 2013

All,
I love to see threads that provoke such great thoughts and discussions.
First, schools for the blind and NFB training centers are totally
different things. For the purposes of my response, I will focus only
on the training centers aspect of the question.
I think that the reasons we encourage people to go to training
centers, are similar to the reasons we encourage people to go to
college. Think about it, college is not like the real world. and if
you are still in college, know, that while it is preparing you and
giving you the critical thinking skills, the writing skills, the
analytical skills to do well in the real world, it is not the real
world. Training centers serve the same purpose. They give us training,
tools, specific methodology to approach problems and solve them, and
then when you go into the real world, you have a toolbox from which
you can pull out the correct tool for the correct task. Not everyone
goes to college. And many people, who do not go to college, are
extremely successful. There are a number of extremely successful blind
people who did not go to training centers. What a lot of them share in
common, at least in my experience, are parents, or family members, or
close friends, who enforced the notion that blindness was just a trait
and not the defining characteristic of their life. These individuals
often sought others to help them learn how to do specific things. We
do not live in hermetically sealed environments. Everyone on this list
knows the value of asking for advice and help when we don't know how
to do something. So to say that we learned to do everything totally on
our own, and so didn't need to go to a center, might be a bit of an
overstatement of the truth. Up to today, I have not gone to an NFB
training center. But that is only because I found the NFB early enough
in my life, that I got friends who taught me strategies that i could
use to do things in an alternative way. I had a great mother, who
pushed me to do anything i wanted. She may not have known how exactly
I could do algebra as a blind student, but she knew I could do it, and
finding the way was up to me. I've gained the confidence to pursue
whatever it is that I want to pursue, knowing that there is always a
way, and that fear is the only thing that can hold me back.
So, why do we send people to a "blind bubble" to learn blindness
skills? The same reason we send our young people to an "academic
bubble" to be around each other and professors, to conduct very
specific and esoteric research, to learn to think critically. Because,
submersion in a certain environment, can often give us skills, and
methodology we can then apply in a wider context.

Thanks.
Mary F

>>> http://nfbnet.org/mailman/options/nabs-l_nfbnet.org/joltingjacksandefur%40gm