[nabs-l] Training centers not the real world

Bridgit Pollpeter bpollpeter at hotmail.com
Mon Nov 11 22:30:41 UTC 2013

Steve,

I completely agree. Without nonvisual skills, I couldn't effectively
care for my kids. I'm safe in the knowledge that I can care for my kids
just like anyone else, but if I lacked certain nonvisual skills, I doubt
I could safely and effectively watch after young children. Most
parenting is based on problem-solving and figuring out as you go along,
but as most blind people know, there are a few things, a few tools, we
require to make life more efficient. Most of what I do as a parent,
hell, most of what I do as a human being, is no different than those who
are sighted, but sometimes I rely on a different tool or method to
achieve the same outcome. So in the long-run, yes, training will only
enhance the parenting process, making you more efficient and confident.

I am sensitive to those in this situation though. Finding child care can
be difficult and expensive. I believe you should try your best in this
situation, but I also understand there are parents who don't have the
support or finances to make this easier. This is definitely a problem to
be further explored.

Bridgit
Message: 18