[nabs-l] Self-Advocacy Question

johnnie Jean duran johnniejduran at gmail.com
Tue Nov 12 00:11:12 UTC 2013

Dear National Association of Blind Students,
As some of you may know, I am currently an 8th grade student attending
O'Connell Middle School, and every trimester, every student is allowed
to switch electives and pick a new one. I decided to choose cooking
(family and consumer science) as my selection, however my TVI and the
cooking teacher are both implying that I will need a para with me in
there at all times. I chose cooking because it is something I am good
at, and I do it all the time. But, both teachers are persisting that I
need a para. What should I tell them, because they aren't listening?
Do I need an advocate?
Thanks,
JJ