[nabs-l] Training centers and volunteers

Jedi Moerke loneblindjedi at samobile.net
Tue Nov 12 22:52:40 UTC 2013

It would be very difficult to establish volunteer programs like the ones you're thinking of. The rehabilitation field is filled with ego. Many in the rehabilitation Field, especially dealing with rehab teaching and orientation and mobility, feel that you need special certifications in each in order to teach the basic skills. So to step in and offer your uncertified self as a volunteer teacher would be a kind of stepping on the toes. More than likely, they will tell you that it's not safe for whatever reason. Mind you,  I'm talking about traditional rehabilitation systems which make up the majority of the country. Your better bet is to create a sort of program that is completely outside of the rehabilitation system. I have operated similar programs through my local chapter of the Federation and it works quite well. If nothing else, our volunteer services provided extra training on top of whatever the person was getting from rehabilitation. It also filled gaps for those who, for whatever reason, couldn't get rehabilitation teaching. That also includes computers and braille   & mobility.

Respectfully,
Jedi

Sent from my iPhone