[nabs-l] Self advocacy question

Greg Aikens gpaikens at gmail.com
Wed Nov 13 02:34:18 UTC 2013

Para = paraprofessional.  Other terms for it include Educational Assistant, Teacher Assistant, Instructional assistant.  Basically they work in schools to assist teachers in whatever ways they need.  Often student's who are blind are assigned a para in situations where they need access to visual info but do not need direct instruction from a teacher of blind students.  If done well, it can be beneficial to everyone involved but there are many negatives associated with the way it is often done, as I'm sure you have gathered from the views expressed in this thread.

Greg Aikens, M. Ed.
Teacher of students who are blind and visually impaired
Cobb County School District
gpaikens at gmail.com